John is probably the oldest living member of SVCC having first played in 1939 when still at Sevenoaks School. In August 2011, and again in September 2011, he wrote to us sending some newspaper clippings and his bowling statistics for the WW2 years with some astonishing highlights.
- In 1946 his bowling average was 9.37 for 38 wickets in 8 games.
- In all, he took 89 wickets in 1946
- In 1949 in cricket week on 5th August, in 2.1 overs he took 5 wickets for 0 runs against the Lincolnshire Gentlemen
- on 8th May 1947 he took 8 for 15 Vs Bickley Park
- his summary notes the scalp of none other that MCC Cowdrey bowled twice, for 0 and an unlucky 13 – though the newspaper cutting against Bickley doesn’t make mention of this.