Back to News

Match Report – U15 vs Withyham

15 Jun 2014 - Mike Wright

Bleary eyed from watching the England game, Vine travelled to Withyham on a cool and blustery day. Old friendships were renewed and the banter started before the teams even took to the pitch.

Vine won the toss and elected to bat, a winning strategy to date. Openers James Bevan-Thomas and Charlie Oster took to the pitch and got off to a brisk start, followed by a profitable partnership of 105. Bevan-Thomas was cutting and pulling and Oster was smashing the ball at all points. Bevan-Thomas rode his luck, was dropped to an easy fly ball and eventually fell swinging for the fences. Pollington joined Oster in the middle and Oster retired shortly afterwards due to a well earned 50 not out. Marshall replaced Oster and put on 68 with Pollington in just over 6 overs with some fine hitting. Marshall was also given a lifeline before falling to a good ball that hit the top of the stumps. Tom James replaced Marshall and was called for a 2nd by Pollington who was then given out to a very tight decision. Vine last 2 wickets in the last over but scored 189-5 in 22.

Vine took to the field and opened with Tom Prout bowling good full, fast balls and this paid off with their opener Beswick caught by Bevan-Thomas at silly mid on to a scorcher that was almost behind him when it was plucked out of the air. Andrew Reid-Dick opened from the pavilion end beating the batsman and the keeper numerous times. Reid-Dick got a wicket in his first over, a low fast catch by Oster. The next two batsmen played superbly but found runs hard to come by. Christian Bryant bowled well and his opposite end bowler T James was being punished for his short balls but then found his length and yorked the batsman, sending him back to the pavilion.

James Phillips replaced Bryant, putting the ball outside off, restricting the batsman to 1’s and 2’s.  At the other end Noah Zuberi bowled his first competitive over this season. Bevan-Thomas replaced Zuberi and Oster replaced Phillips. Bevan-Thomas was initially expensive but got his man to a good stumping by the keeper Connor Wright. Oster, off a short run up was bowling off-cuters and got a wicket to a good catch by Bryant on the boundary. Pollington took over from Oster and had a full toss nonchalantly dispatched to the boundary and only to get a wicket with an in-swinging full ball on the next delivery. Sam Marshall took the last over and was no-balled for 3 men behind square on the leg side, the ball was skied, the catch was taken (not out) by Bevan-Thomas, but the batsman was run out attempting a hopeless single. Their retired batsman (50 not out) came back in and continued his fine display. Withyham ended their innings  on 131, meaning the Vine won by 58 runs.

Man of the Match was Charlie Oster for a great 50.